Friday, November 7, 2008

Planting complete

The planting crew skipped Thursday because it was predicted to be too rainy to plant, and because the original crew needed space to finish the stone paving. Hard to believe it was only one day - DW and I were so antsy to see all the flowerpots gone! We got a thrill watching the wind brush through the grasses and bamboos - and watching the formerly potted pines not fall down!

Today they finished up very quickly. The raspberries, the front planter, and the vegetable patch are all done, and each has plenty of room to add more plants. I'm salivating over the prospect of pouring over plant catalogs all winter. We resolved a big dilemma: where to plant a fig tree. DW got his heart set on a fig - they are classics of Brooklyn Italian back yards. But CG's and CDV's quiet, polite cautions rang loud in my ears: figs aren't really hardy in this zone, they aren't really pretty, they have very big roots... So the fig will go in the hidden corner next to the greenhouse-to-be. That leaves a big, very prominent space next to the raspberries, and some space in the grape planter. Of course the whole vegetable patch has to be planned.

After finishing the planting and cleaning up, ASMK watered the newly planted sections and took lots of photos for the company portfolio. She and CDV say this is their most spectactular installation. But of course!

1 comment:

andrea said...

THAKS NICKY !!!
after reading your e-mail , I got back on the blog... and.. I'm impressed.
such a beautyfull job.
and a nice party...!!!
charles flower centerpiece wow.

it is nice to see here and there some pieces of the house that I did with DW so long ago, like the black and white tiles all around the kitchen area , was that 1989 ??
REMEMBER purple melanzana eggplant aaaaah???
a nice "original " floor...

I love you
ciao dall'italia