Monday, August 25, 2008

Weekend visitors

The project was quiet and empty all weekend. Friends and family came by to see the progress in person. Here’s my mom and a California guest down in the garage, with the back wall of the kitchen behind and above their heads.
We noticed this plant saved in a corner - it is a wigelia that I bought about 8 years ago. It has been faltering for a couple years, so it was one that was supposed to go out in the demolition. R must have saved it - he has a big garden in the suburbs and I suspect the wigelia is heading there. I hope it does as well for him as it once did for me!

Charlie’s attempts to get through the plastic sheeting got more and more insistent, so Monday morning I let him out on the top roof. He explored quite calmly, and to my relief he checked out our two neighbors' roofs to the east but not the eight neighbors to the west. I’ll try letting him out most mornings, but once the sun heats up the roof, it’s completely off limits. The black flashing is like tar, and sticks to anything. The loft floor already has too many black spots from our own shoes. It really doesn’t need black paw prints, and the cat really shouldn’t be trying to clean tar out of his fur with his tongue.

No comments: